Top 10 Best STEM Toys For Boys November 2015
STEM learning is most effective when it happens both in and outside school. And what engages kids outside of school? TOYS, of course! Toys that can help kids develop STEM knowledge and skills to increase their readiness for college, careers and life! The S.T.E.M. movement is perhaps one of the most important trends in toys in decades. STEM is actually an acronym for SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, and MATH. It’s these skills that kids must adopt in order to stay relevant in today’s tech-centric world.
You Save: $14.00 (40%)
- Awards: The National Parenting Center-Seal of Approval, Dr. Toy 100 Best Children’s Products, Dr Toy Best Educational Products
- Valuable component to a rounded STEM curriculum
- Build working models of a photo sensor, a flashing light, and an adjustable-volume siren. More than 100 exciting projects in all with included 30+ snap together parts
- Electrical components provide children ages 8+ with hands-on experience designing and building models of working electrical circuits
- Clear and concise illustrated manual included and available online
Create Working Electronic Circuits Snap Circuits Jr (SC-100) comes with over 30 components to create 101 different electronic projects. The pieces, which include snap wires, slide switches, an alarm circuit, a music integrated circuit, and a speaker, snap together easily on the included plastic grid–no soldering required. Each piece is numbered and color-coded to make identifying them easy. These components combine to create working circuit boards just like the ones found inside televisions, radios, and other electronic devices. With its easy-to-follow instructions, Snap Circuits gives your child a hands-on education in how electrical circuits work to run the everyday devices that they’re familiar with. They’ll also gain valuable lessons in building and in following instructions. The project manual includes large color illustrations and simple directions for each project. The projects include a sound-activated switch, a musical doorbell, a voice-controlled lamp, a flying saucer, and a light police siren. With these projects, children will experiment with things like electric switches, integrated circuits, digital circuits, fuses, and the transformation of circuit sounds into other sounds. Includes: Plastic snap-grid, 32 electrical components, and 1 project manual.Recommended for children 8 and older.
You Save: $15.06 (30%)
- 175 pieces to design and build cool, wacky creations
- Solve challenges, such as hitting targets and making balls bounce
- Build a catapult, zip line, trampoline and more
- Includes 4 wheels, a ball, 24 rubber bands, 2 foam play pads, string, challenge cards and 5 instruction guides
- Recommended for children 8 years of age and older
ZOOB S.T.E.M. Challenge gives you the tools you need to design and build creations to solve challenges, such as hitting targets and making balls bounce. Dream up ingenious solutions for each test. Learn and apply science, technology, engineering and math (S.T.E.M.) principles. Comes with 175 classic ZOOB pieces, plus wheels with axles and rubber tires, a high-bounce ball 24 rubber bands, 2 foam play pads, string, 26 ZOOB challenges plus 9 Bonus challenges, 5 instruction guides to build 40 creations. ZOOB is not like any other building set – the pieces include gears, axels and joints that snap, click, and pop together! With rotating, spinning and extendable parts you can actually design a toy to play with, instead of just building something to look at. Create monsters—or vehicles—or monsters that turn into vehicles! The possibilities are as endless as your imagination! Recommended for children 8 years of age and older.
ZOOB is an award-winning building set with a difference—the pieces move after you put them together, so you can play with your creations, instead of just looking at them. Although we provide instructions and suggestions for models to build, the best part of playing with ZOOB is exploring, inventing, and discovering how you can build and deciding what you want to create! ZOOB is a member of the ALEX Brands family of products. Visit www.amazon.com/alex-brands for more information on Alex Brands and our best-selling line of educational and entertaining products for kids.
3. Gravity Maze
You Save: $6.00 (20%)
- Falling Marble Logic Game
- A marble run and logic puzzle all in one
- 60 challenges ranging from beginner to expert
- Builds spacial reasoning and planning skills
- Includes 1 game grid, 60 challenge cards, 9 towers, 1 target piece, 3 marbles
We love games that are as fun for kids as they are for parents! The towers in this game can be arranged in a variety of structures but, for each challenge, you’ll have to to build a path that will carry your marble to its target. This game is just as fun for a single player as it is for small groups.
You Save: $7.98 (36%)
- 20 piece kit allows your young scientist to explore and learn the basics of science from chemical reactions to the use of science tools
- Represents STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) principles – open ended toys to construct, engineer, explorer and experiment
- Chemicals Included: Red cabbage powder, citric acid, baking soda, 3 color tablets, crosslinked polyacrylate copolymer, vegetable oil, corn starch
- Supplies Included: 2 cotton swabs, 3 test tubes with stand, 3 plastic cups, pipette, 2 sticks, 2 measuring scoops and activity guide
- Recommended for children 4 years of age and older with adult supervision
Learn About the Unusual Principles of Science
My First Science Kit tests several scientific principles with mind blowing experiments such as creating a sunset in a test tube and making a color-changing volcano. Children love learning fascinating facts about their natural world and this kit will keep them engrossed with interactive experiments. You don’t need a state of the art laboratory to hypothesize and test your theories; everything you need comes in this expansive kit. Your child will learn using the scientific process of deduction and experimentation.
- Step-by-step instructions for all 11 experiments, the detailed science guide included with this kit provides adults with “mind blowing science secrets” that help to answer questions about what’s happening in each experiment
- Mind Blowing Science is part of the exceptional series of home science kits based on the nationally recognized Great Explorations in Math and Science (GEMS) program pioneered at UC Berkley’s Lawrence Hall of Science
- Kit Includes: Red cabbage juice powder, citric acid, baking soda, three color tablets, crosslinked polyacrylamide, vegetable oil, corn starch, two cotton swabs, three test tubes, three plastic cups, pipette, two sticks, two measuring scoops and an activity guide
My First Mind Blowing Science Kit provides the tools your little Einstein needs to create their very own science lab at home. This beginner’s science kit allows young scientists to perform several amazing safe and fun science experiments that range from erupting a color-changing volcano to creating a sunset in a test tube. Young scientists will learn about basic principles behind the science including the difference between acids and bases and how to use a test tube and pipette.
This kit combines elements of science with entertaining facts to provide hours of hands-on activities. This kit is an exciting way for children to learn and test scientific principles with awesome experiments. It also teaches a valuable lesson about the scientific method and how to propose, test and refine your hypothesis. Exploratory learning improves memory and keeps kids engaged with hands-on learning experiences. These experiments are the closest educators have come to creating an authentic learning experience. Kids will love it and learn at the same time. Enjoy this kit at home with parents and friends or in the classroom at school.
You Save: $14.01 (42%)
- 50 piece beginner course in robotics
- NAPPA Children’s Competition, Honor Winner
- Battery included for eyes, no batteries required for pull back motor
- Includes 1 light up ZOOB piece with batteries, 2 wheels, 2 wheeled motor assembly, 4 tires and instructions
- Recommended for children 6 years of age and older
ZOOB BOT lets you build your own robot with motorized wheels and light up eyes! The ZOOB Bot kit comes with 50 ZOOB pieces, 4 wheels, a pull-back motor, and light-up eyes with a replaceable battery, and instructions to build 4 ZOOB-Bots like Bot Frantic Fred or Bot Wedgie Warpspeed (or create your own). ZOOB is not like any other building set – the pieces include gears, axels and joints that snap, click, and pop together! With rotating, spinning and extendable parts you can actually design a toy to play with, instead of just building something to look at. Create monsters—or vehicles—or monsters that turn into vehicles! The possibilities are as endless as your imagination! Recommended for children 6 years of age and older.
ZOOB is an award-winning building set with a difference—the pieces move after you put them together, so you can play with your creations, instead of just looking at them. Although we provide instructions and suggestions for models to build, the best part of playing with ZOOB is exploring, inventing, and discovering how you can build and deciding what you want to create! ZOOB is a member of the ALEX Brands family of products.
You Save: $11.43 (23%)
- Set contains the exact number required to build the classic magic ball
- Made with high quality and super powerful magnets
- Makes a great add-on to any MAGFORMERS collection
- Perfect set for traveling, because the pieces stick together
- An educational experience that’s also fun
- Also includes an idea guide for inspiration
- The basic Magformers set with triangles and squares.
- 30 pieces total: 12 triangles, 18 squares.
- Oppenheim Platinum Award Winner.
- Magnetic construction set
- Recommended Age: 3 years and up
The basic set of MAGFORMERS in Rainbow colors complete with 18 squares and 12 triangles. This is MAGFORMERS award winning 30 Piece Rainbow Set with a beautiful variety of colors included in just one (1) set. Perfect for those days when building with 2 colors just isn’t enough. A great set for the beginning user. Rainbow colors build eye catching designs that appeal to boys and girls of all ages. Only the best materials are used, High Quality ABS Plastic and 1/3″ rare-earth NEODYMIUM magnet on side of the shape.
Intelligent Magnetic Design for Brain Development
MAGFORMERS are easy to use and never frustrating. The patented intelligently designed MAGFORMERS magnets are housed in colorful, high quality ABS plastic. They always attract and never repel, so the moment any two pieces touch they connect. High quality magnets that instantly connect are sure to spark curiosity and play time is creative, stimulating, and constructive. Building with MAGFORMERS engages mathematical and scientific thought, deductive reasoning, and requires use of spatial awareness. Manipulating the powerful, colorful MAGFORMERS magnets IS educational, but despite being an educational experience, play is magical and FUN!
This is the basic set but we think building with the Rainbow set just seems more magical. MAGFORMERS designs can look more exciting when built with these vibrant colors. You’ll be able to create all the basic forms with the Rainbow 30 set including the magic ball, a house, a building, and a rocket. You can use the powerful magnets to build a beautiful flower, and even a microphone! Beginners can start with simple forms like cubes and pyramids and advance to larger structures. Your only limitation will be your imagination and with so many colors you’ll have a hard time picking a favorite.
Instant connect powerful magnets make playtime instantly FUN! Storage takes care of itself, because with MAGFORMERS,every piece connects to another and stacks neatly so you won’t find a messy pile after play! Compact storage, easy set up, and quick clean up, make MAGFORMERS a perfect activity for anytime or place. Pack them in a small tote and wherever you go you’re bringing instant FUN. Children of all ages can easily build with MAGFORMERS.
You Save: $11.00 (28%)
- Fun and educational
- Performance and quality tested
- Great fun for children of all ages
- Programmable room security system with sirens, lights and sound effects
- Door alarm with secret access codes, secret knocks and key cards
- Record personal greetings and messages for family members and friends
- Universal mount attaches to and bedroom door
- Fulfills STEM requirement for Technology
Forget hand-written signs saying “NO BOYS ALLOWED!” Kids today can program their own security system to keep intruders out and their friends in. Room Defender teaches basic computer programming skills as kids record messages, create programs, and warn trespassers (like their little brother or sister) to KEEP OUT! Programmers grant access to their room by giving their friends and family secret codes and key cards. The universal mount attaches to any bedroom door with double-sided tape (included). No passcode or key card? Flashing lights let potential intruders know that Room Defender is armed and will set of sirens if the door opens.
You Save: $100.00 (25%)
- The Meccano Meccanoid G15 KS Personal Robot comes with over one thousand phrases and voice recognition to make your personal robot more like your best friend!
- Download the free app from Google Play or AppStore. Works with iOS and Android.
- Build, program and play with this fully-operational, 4-foot-tall robot, with life-like articulated limbs powered by 10 motors for realistic movement.
- The Meccano Meccanoid G15 KS Personal Robot is for ages 10 and up. 1800mAh NiMH Battery and charger included.
- Includes: 1223 Parts, 1 AC/DC Wall Mount Charger, 1 Rechargeable 1800mAh NiMH Battery, 1 Meccabrain, 1 LED Module, 2 Hand Tools, 8 Servos, 2 Rear Wheel asembly, 2 Motor Gearbox Assembly
Meet Meccano’s ultimate, build-it-yourself robot, the Meccanoid G15 KS Personal Robot. Standing almost 4 feet tall the Meccanoid G15 KS uses advanced technology and 10 motors to deliver even more realistic movement to its arms head and feet. Our favorite part? You can teach him to dance and tell jokes! The Meccanoid is a pretty hefty engineering project but well worth the time spent building in the end. This is a great family project or, for the more advanced builders, perfect for solo play.
More than a toy, the Meccano Meccanoid G15KS Personal Robot uses the most advanced technology and will become your new best friend. Using over 1,100 pieces and 10 motors, you can construct a 4 foot tall real working, moving, talking robot full of personality, a sense of humor, capable of responding to instructions and mirroring movements.
Powered by it’s Mecca Brain, Meccanoid G15KS can be programmed in 3 different ways:
1. LIM (Learned Intelligent Movement)
2. Rag Doll Style
3. Motion Capture
Making it capable to capture your motions and even mimic them. You can even program its motions manually by hitting a record button, moving the robot’s arms around and then watching it repeat those movements.
Requires smart device (not included), and free downloadable Meccanoid App from Google Play or AppStore. iOS and Android compatible.
Meccano Maker System allows multiple ways to build! Rebuild your Meccanoid as a dinosaur, a dog or anything else you can imagine. Comes with: 1,188 Parts, 1 AC/DC Wall Mount Charger, 1 Rechargeable 1800mAh NiMH Battery, 1 Meccabrain, 1 LED Module, 2 Hand Tools, 8 Servos, 2 Rear Wheel assembly, 2 Motor Gearboxes.
- Playtime just got smarter with Dash & Dot. Learn to code as you play with your new robot friends and all of their add-ons.
- The robots arrive fully assembled and ready to play.
- Use a supported iPad (iPad 3+, Mini, Air) or Android tablet (see list of devices below) to access free Wonder Workshop apps that control Dash & Dot.
- Dash & Dot interact with the world using sensors. They can hear sounds, detect objects, and know if you are moving them.
- Program Dash & Dot to do anything you imagine. Deliver a message to a friend, have a dance party, and even navigate through an obstacle course.
Discover a new world of play and learning
Kids define how they want to play. Whether you’re into hosting make-believe tea parties, having jousts at magical kingdoms, or adventuring with friends, Dash & Dot will be there every step of the way. Children ages 5 and up learn the foundations of problem solving and computer programming as they have fun with Dash & Dot.
In addition to the robots and apps, our website offers a variety of fun activity ideas and challenges for you to take on with your new robot friends. Start with these and then invent your own uses for Dash & Dot.
The Wonder Pack gives you our Dash Robot, our Dot Robot, our our Building Brick Connector pack, our Accessories Pack, and our Xylophone for endless hours of robot fun.
Use your Apple or Android smart phone or tablet to program Dash to move, dance, light up, make sounds, avoid obstacles, and even react to their voice. With the revolutionary free app Wonder, kids can program Dash to be the real robot pet, pal or sidekick of their dreams. Program Dot to be a Magic Dot Ball, a Light Sword, or whatever else you can imagine!
No instructions needed! Our Wonder and Blockly apps feature built-in challenge tutorials that teach you how to program Dash and Dot from the very beginning of each program! Forget robot camp – you can easily learn Blockly and Wonder right in the app.
Comes fully assembled, no batteries required. Internal battery charges in 1 hour with included USB cable and gives you 3 hours of play time on average.
Awards: 2015 National Parenting Gold, Time To Play Magazine 2015 Holiday Most Wanted List, Opening Minds Innovation for Schools, ISTE Best of Show for Schools.
Wonder makes robotics as delightful as finger painting
A picture based language built for kids, Wonder is the coding canvas that gives kids the joy of creativity as they bring Dash and Dot to life. Roll up your sleeves, and push the boundaries of what is possible.
Dash is a real robot, charged and ready to play out of the box. Responding to voice, navigating objects, dancing, and singing, Dash is the robot you always dreamed of having. Use Wonder, Blockly, and other apps to create new behaviors for Dash — doing more with robotics than ever possible. No books, assembly, or camps needed!
Ready to play right of out of the box, Dash can speed around the house, lights blinking, wheels squealing. Dash comes with free coding apps on phones and tablets, Wonder and Blockly, designed for every child to program robots, and learn on their own using hundreds of challenges in the apps. Wonder even lets you save your creations to Dash to play without the screen.
Dot is the brains of a robot. Dot comes with several games built in, such as Magic Dot Ball, Dot of Music, and Light Sword. Using free apps Wonder and Blockly, you get to make over a hundred more games using instructions in the apps. Games built in Wonder can be saved on Dot to play without the screen. Dot is the best introduction to coding and robotics with hands-on play, opening up their imagination and creativity. The Wonder app is available on phones and tablets, and Blockly is available on tablets.
The xylophone turns Dash into a one-robot marching band. Composing your own songs, or remix some of your favorite tunes. Dazzle your family and friends with your masterpiece.
The Wonder pack comes with six building brick connectors. Transform Dash & Dot into an animal, a delivery truck, and even a catapult using your own LEGO bricks or LEGO Technic. Note that LEGO bricks are not included in the pack.
Add the power of your smartphone to Dash using the smartphone mount. Make a spy bot by recording video as you tell Dash where to go, or have a Facetime call as Dash turns to who’s talking.
The accessories pack includes three sets of attachments that give Dash & Dot new abilities. Turn Dash into a bulldozer with the push bar, transform into a rabbit with the bunny tail and ears, and pull other toys along with the tow hook.
- Winner “Best Robot” (2015 Consumer Electronics Show & 2014 International Toy Fair)
- A simple fun and engaging introduction into programming with Ozobot
- Download the free Ozobot Apps to play games
- Control Ozobot with markers then master with brain teasers
- Teacher recommended and free STEM inspired Lesson Plans (teachers please contact Ozobot for free Lesson Plans for use in your classroom)
Ozobot is a powerful tiny robot that teaches STEM and computer science learning through a collection of game based activities and digital apps. Its easy-to-understand color code language makes Ozobot the perfect choice for introducing young minds to concepts that are vital to their success in the 21st century.
Copyright 2015 Kelly Downing